Summarized Biography Of Shaykh ‘Abdur Rahmaan Ibn ‘Auf Koni (Hafidhahullah)
Compiled by Abu Afnaan Muhammad ‘Abdullah
His name is ‘Abdur Rahmaan Ibn ‘Auf Koni however his father’s name is ‘Umar and on official documents his name is ‘Ibn ‘Auf ‘Umar Koni’. His father named him after the Sahaabi ‘Abdur Rahmaan Ibn ‘Auf and for this reason the Shaykh has been known as ‘Abdur Rahmaan Ibn ‘Auf Koni.
Shaykh ‘Abdur Rahmaan currently resides in al-Madinah, Saudi Arabia and is originally from Burkina Faso, which is where he began his search for religious knowledge. The Shaykh then went to Madinah as a student at the Islaamic University of Madinah where he studied and graduated. However, his main intention for going to Madinah was to study with Shaykh Muhammad Ameen Ash-Shanqeeti (the author of Adwaa Al-Bayaan) (rahimahullah) after hearing about him and reading a fatwaa from him, which caused the Shaykh to want to study with him. He studied with Shaykh Muhammad Ameen (rahimahullah) for several years along with Muhammad Mukhtar Ibn Ahmad Ash-Shanqeeti (rahimahullah) as well as Shaykh Ahmad Muhammad Haamid Al-Hasani Ash-Shanqeeti (rahimahullah), whom he studied with for several years. Shaykh ‘Abdur Rahmaan Ibn ‘Auf Koni studied extensively with the aforementioned Shuyukh in various Islaamic sciences such as Fiqh, (especially Maliki which is the madhhab of his country), Usool Al-Fiqh, Nahw, ‘Aqeedah, etc.
Other ‘Ulamaa` whose classes he attended include:
• General sittings with Shaykh Al-Albaani (rahimahullah) during the latter’s final year in Madinah
• Shaykh Ibn Baz (rahimahullah) for Kitaab At-Tawheed
• Shaykh Hamaad Al-Ansaari (rahimahullah) for Sunan At-Tirmidhi
• Shaykh Atiya Muhammad Salam(rahimahullah) for Al-Muwatta of Imaam Malik amongst other Shuyukh whom he benefitted from.
The Shaykh participates in dawras throughout the Kingdom in which he taught the following books:
• Muqadimatu Al-Ajromiyyah
• Mulhatu Al-‘Iraab
• Laamiya Al ‘Afaal of Ibn Malik
• Alfiya Ibn Malik
• Al-Bulbul for Usool Al-Fiqh (Mukhtasir li Rawda Ad Naathr)
• Ash-Shathrau fi an-Nahw of Ibn Hayyan
• Sharh Mujiz fi Al-Balaagha amongst other books.
From the books regularly read to him by his students are:
• Al-Ajromiyyah (Al-‘Emariti and Ash-Shanqeeti)
• Mutamimah Al-Ajromiyyah of Hattab
• Qatr An-Nadaa of Ibn Hisham
• Explanations of Alfiya Ibn Malik by Ibn Hisham and Ibn Aqeel
• The Mudhakira in Usool Al-Fiqh from Ash-Shanqeeti amongst others
Shaykh ‘Abdur Rahmaan is well known for his extensive knowledge of Arabic Grammar and Maliki Fiqh. Shaykh ‘Abdullah Al-Bukhari has him listed as one of his teachers in which he describes him as [عرابلا يوغللا] Al-Lughawee Al-Baari’ which can be roughly translated as the